Trade Regrets: Wolfgang Förster
In 1859 August Förster opened a piano workshop in Löbau, Germany. Wolfgang Förster grew up deeply involved in the family-owned business. After nationalization of East Germany in the early 1970s, the company became state-owned, but Wolfgang continued to manage the building of their musical instruments. The family name was added back into the official company name in 1976, the same year the organization began its first exports to the United States. Wolfgang’s daughter currently runs the company.
Wolfgang passed away on June 30, 2012. To view a clip from his 2004 Oral History interview, click here.